Job Hunting

“You are your own responsibility! There's no way around it. Get out there and make the world your canvas.”

This phrase. I've heard more than once in my many years of living in this revolving sphere – octogenarians would laugh at my mention of 25 being many years but it sure does count for something, doesn't it? I wanted to replace the word 'living' with 'existing' but then remembered a lesson I once had in one of those campus Career Fairs where a facilitator emphasized that the youth should 'live life'. He said,

“Don't just exist, live!”, “Many are existing and being comfortable while at it. Don't you want to just be different for once? You do? Then Live! Get out of your conform zone and draw your art on this wide plain canvas awarded to you!”

In pursuit of living and taking responsibility, I one time opened myself up to exploring the job searching side of the world. Just after graduation, there's always this refreshing feeling that engulfs you. Corporate world are you ready for me? In your head, you're visualizing how the corporates will fight to grab you to their side same way lions hungrily scramble for prey in the wild. You're fresh from campus, your mind is young and ready to dish out ideas same way Beyonce dishes out killer albums. You are inexperienced of course but 'you can learn on the job' and 'you come from a reputable university'. What else could they need? You are ready to serve and they better be ready to be served!

Your fantasy line of thoughts is dragged into reality when you're in month 5 of back and forth unsuccessful interviews (or lack, thereof) and you're now contemplating selling your kidney. I mean, what's the need of two of those things when one works perfectly fine? There's people out here living large with only one kidney Susan! What's stopping you?

Reality hits and now you start being reasonable in how you approach life and job searching in particular. You will now pay attention to detail; what is really required in these job applications? Should I now take the mock interviews at campus seriously and also take that Internship opportunity? Yes, they don't pay you now but who knows what the near future holds for you? You'll come to terms with the fact that your esteem degree certificate just isn't enough. You've got to show 'em you have more than just that!

I haven't been in the job searching world long enough to point out the many ups and downs it brings along. I don't say this out of spite for those in that journey either. I'm still learning to navigate it's waters and learn the tactics to making it through unscathed. Does that really happen though? It's thorns and flowers in the path, you win some, you lose some. 

I got my current job after a one-on-one interview which didn't give me as much pressure as I'd expected. I prepared for that interview like I always did my exams. I practically woke up every day at 4 a.m. for 4 days straight prior to the interview to just go through interview questions because I was scared as hell. I had only previously gone for one interview as a student but that I didn't take serious because I still had a job that I was okay with then. I couldn't even believe that they called me! I was like “Whoa, you mean they liked the stuff I wrote on my CV?” 

My name is Mercy and I have Interview Phobia. I think interviews are really good but it's really a narrow way of getting to know what the capabilities of someone are. I specially detest the fact that one has to be the center of attention, get grilled and sometimes questioned into somehow believing that you are not good enough. You want to know whether I can handle a team, join me in the field or give me a task and see me handle it like a pro! Don't ask me what I'll do in that scenario...with all five of you glaring at me, I might lose words and round of my English to the nearest mother-tongue! That way I lose my chance of ever proving that I'm pro at being a team-player.

“But that's the standard. That's the only way we have to make sure you qualify, for now. That's the recruitment process. You have to be okay with it,” says Society. I'm no one to conform to societal pressures but if getting successful means overcoming my interviews phobia then bring it on Society!

I'm a hunter, I hunt for jobs in the weirdest of places and even as I get to settle in some comfort space in form of a small gig, I keep looking ahead for better. There's always better – and I'm in search of it! God help me get it – sooner, maybe?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOFTOP

1 of 4

MY VALENTINE