Iko kazi KE kweli?

So jana I'm going about carrying out some assigned duties in this our place of work then send some document to print. As I'm going to pick the doc from the printer that's at the Reception, I find this young beautiful girl seated on the far end of the one 3-seater Equity Bank-like visitor chair we have. With her is a handbag, a brown A4 envelope and a smile, brighter than the diamonds Rihanna spent 4 minutes and 42 seconds singing about. I smile back and we kick off the smiling contest but add onto it some words to make the whole experience spicy.

"Hi, sorry to bother you ๐Ÿ˜’- -" she says.

"No, no..it's no big deal, I'm just printing something - actually it's the machine printing it, so I'm just here to pick the documents...haha ๐Ÿ™ƒ." Off i went with the lame office jokes. She giggled anyway so, that's something๐Ÿฅณ. She then quickly retrieved the contents of her envelope and gave them to me and as she was doing this she asked (severally) whether we had a vacancy -

"Please, whatever the post is - even if it's an internship, I really don't mind. You look so young - seems like you're one of the lucky ones Nairobi picked!" she says.

Standing right there we briefly shared our school backgrounds (we'd both done BCOM) but her specialization was Finance from UoN. We'd both graduated on the same year 2016. She narrated how she'd sent countless job applications online and having heard no response from any of these companies, she resorted to walking to these offices to physically ask for a job.

One thing we both established is that I was in no position to give her immediate help despite how sad and helpless her story made me feel. I avoided telling her "please send me your CV on mail, I will have a look at it" or "my thoughts and prayers are with you" because those are statements people use to dismiss a job seeker unless they really mean it. How many super-drums of thoughts and prayers can pay my June rent surely๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค? Lubbish, alogant!

"Caretaker umeona kakitu kameingia kwa account ya June?"
"Sijaona madam...."
"Chukua hio thoughts and prayers ya rent, maji na garbage" ๐Ÿค“

Those young people we saw on an image trending the other day outside Ekka hotel probably have the same story - or worse and are looking to just survive manze. Those that have jobs, I know we don't have our dream jobs but at least we have something and indeed - in this Kenyan economy, we are lucky! Ukiskia ka post mahali na unajua ni legit, okolea tu jirani yako bana. Kusurvive huku nje bila job ni kitu ingine ngumu sana.

She gave me her email address coz the best way I could try help her was to forward her links that I hoped would bear fruit. Her email is (viviannm001@gmail.com) - please help if & when you can. She will be thankful. Alisema hata internship ni sawa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOFTOP

MY VALENTINE

1 of 4