2021 READS: BOOK 4 OF 6

After having a rough time reading a memoir by a neurosurgeon πŸ˜– (book 3) and had my head almost explode, I had to ‘reward’ myself with an easy fun read that maybe took me a week to finish? I love a simple written high school set up story. Many times when I just want to lay down and surf through Netflix on a lazy boring Saturday afternoon, I go for simple comedy/drama films like, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Sex Education, Ginny and Georgia, among others. This one here was so interesting, felt like I was watching one of those silly films where teenagers figure our life in high school, in preparation for college.

A girl, Jessie Holmes, tells the story of how the sudden death of her mom (cancer) brought about life changes that she found hard to deal with. Her dad remarries and they have to move to another state, a posh and more polished state, she says  - LA, and leave all she knew behind, her best friends, etc. She’s moved into a new school, making friends is tough on her, her dad is engrossed in this new marriage and she feels abandoned, no one ever consulted her about the move, no one checks on her, she has to find her way though the new norm on her own. She’s bullied in school and can’t stand up for herself. People are richer here, her dad moved into the new wife’s house who pays her fees, dad is out of a job... she feels super inferior to the rest.

She makes few friends eventually but still misses the ones she left behind, she always feels like a part of her is back there. Only one virtual friend she made on her first day of new school makes the transition worth the effort - SN. 

---

PS: I got into  minor bodaboda accident on 27th March 2021 at 7.15am while crossing the road to start my morning run πŸ˜“πŸ˜’, this book kept me company for the four days after that when I was home recuperating from the right leg injury. My leg's still not fully healed but I couldn't stay home all week - but I miss working out/running. I hope to get back to it soon! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOFTOP

MY VALENTINE

1 of 4