A NDUTHI HIT ME

(Part I): Metatarsal Fracture

I like to be identified as a storyteller but sometimes I don't have stories to tell. Other times I have plenty to tell and write but they are too personal to put on here. I know this is known to be a 'personal blog' but everything I write here is accessible to everyone and maybe there's folk that get entertained reading them, or perhaps some inspiration; I'd like to imagine that I somehow inspire someone out thereπŸ˜‡. Lakini I'm very open hapa and some of my posts are very raw and I like that because real & raw's become quite scarce nowadays. Who do I write for anyway? I write for the few of us who still think bloggers and blogging hasn't become extinct. I write for the people who still feel there's some good untold stories that are 'carelessly' told in blogs that are not too popular. I write for the group of individuals who like coming across kienyeji stories that are full of typos but still make sense. I write for the people who enjoy reading sheng coz I use that a lot on here πŸ˜‰. I write for the people who like raw unscripted stories. I write for fun. I write because writing is my 'exhale' and to be extremely honest with you, I'm curious why you chose to click on this link and read through my rumbling(s). You wanna know something though, I appreciate that you are here reading the stories written by this girl who's most times 100% clueless about stuff. So, here goes another story of my life!

Saturdays kama kawaida, mi huenda morning run. Hii kukimbia nilianza kitambo sana mby the wei, from High School days. The motivation was probably my then chubby self but it transitioned to a lifestyle I've grown to enjoy very much. The chilly morning of 27th March 2021 remains to be a morning that'll forever be etched in my mind. Sa mi na psyche yangu ya kawaida nimetoka tu home poa asubuhi kitu 6.50am ready to Kipchoge the hell out of the morning. Kumbe masaibu ya ndugu Jero yalikuwa yageuke yawe masaibu ya dada Mercy! Salaaaaaale!

Ndio nianze kukimbia, lazima nipitie stage ya matatu pale ivo Ngong so there's lots of road crossing that happens before nianze. Nakumbuka kulikuwa na kanjeve kaserious lakini ju nlikuwa najua ntasweat sikuvaa sweater mimi, nilitoka tu home kimangoto, roho juu - ju mi ni ule msee πŸ˜‚. Unaonanga venye just before you get to a common matatu terminus magari huwa zinamove polepole? That's what was happening so mi nikasmama mbele ya mat flani ready to cross to the other side, the driver saw me so he slowed down to let me pass. There were no cars on the other lane at the time and the mistake I did was not practise what we'd been taught in Nursery school - look right, look left, look right again, cross - yeah, I didn't do that. I thought since the cars had slowed down, wacha nivuke tu. Ghafla bin vuu, Osama bin laden.....ka nduthi sijui kalitokea wapi! 

Mi niliskia tu nimeslide. Like, immediately I put my right foot forward and moved my body to cross, I collided with a motorbike which btw ilikuwa imebeba mtu na inaenda speed ya kawaida. I didn't fall down, my right leg kinda twisted and when I noticed I was about to fall and lay down flat on the road I used my hands to support myself. It happened so fast btw I think my brain took some seconds to register what had happened. The impact wasn't as bad because had it been bad I'd have broken an entire tibia or fibula bone. The nduthi guy pia hakuwa ameslow down so he didn't expect to have anyone cross ahead of him. He stopped when it was too late, alikuwa ashanichota na nduthi πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. It's funny now but it wasn't then. 

I didn't lose consciousness but my mind went somewhere for split seconds. When I stood up the nduthi guy had stopped and was asking me a million questions. 

"Madam, uko sawa? Waaaah aki umetokea wapi?"

"Umeumia wapi? Sikuwa nimekuona?"

In so much confusion, I tried to check whether I could still walk and to my amazement, I could and I wasn't hurting anywhere. I quickly just told him to go about his work as I started walking away. I hate crowds and conflicts because there's a lot in this Nairobi that happens in such situations, mob justice for example. A small crowd had started to form and from what I could hear all the blame was directed to the nduthi guy. I didn't want to be part of it - at all!

"Hawa watu wamezoea kuendesha hizi vitu vibaya sana!"

"Madam uko sure uko sawa? Amekuumiza?" others chimed in.

So I acted quick. I stretched my leg and did a small jog to show the guy that I was okay and that he should go before things turned ugly. He read the sign and said sorry for the umpteenth time before he sped off. I continued with my walk and kept the slight jogging act for the people's hearts to be at peace. Kufika mbele kidogo.....waaaah, kiliumana! I started feeling some pain so I stopped at some Carwash, nikakaa chini to check where the pain was coming from. Kuinua tu tights hivi on my right leg I realized there were two bloody scars on my shin, one quite deep compared to the other. Halafu there was some pain coming from my toe so I removed my shoe to check. Lets just say I couldn't put the shoe back on! The pain was unbearable you guy!!! 

I didn't want to cry at a carwash. Who cries at a carwash anyway? OGs don't even cryπŸ˜‚! I saved my tears for later. Some boda guy was passing by nikamsho anibebe hadi kwa nyumba. Just before I called my boyfriend (😜), nililia for like 30 minutes kwanza. I was in PAIN. I didn't go to the hospital immediately ju I thought it was just a simple twist that would take some massaging na vitu zitakuwa tu sawa. Wueeeh, I wasn't ready for the month that followed this 'minor accident'.

-------

PS: I'm doing well right now, my leg's made really good progress. Part II is just about my recovery process and how hard it was πŸ˜–. I'm gonna write 'bout that next week (maybe😏). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOFTOP

1 of 4

MY VALENTINE