2021 READS: BOOK 6 OF 6

There is this somewhat insulting quote by Malcom X casually thrown around that goes; 'If you want to hide something from a black/african man, put it in a book 😬.' We read it with a pinch of bitterness because it holds some truth to it. However, in this era where multiple forms of media are on our faces each waking day, I feel that the unwillingness to pick up a physical book goes down to an individual's choice. These other sources of media are still as educative as print media, so to each their own. I subscribe to all media forms at my disposal and occasionally pick up physical books. My resolution this year with regards books was to read 6 books (See review of the other 5 HERE). I am thrilled to have hit my target for the year, a notable personal achievement 😊. 

Here's a kienyeji review of my 6th read of the year: "My First Time by Janet Mbugua"

Book cost: KES. 1,750/-
Store: Prestige Bookshop, Mama Ngina street, CBD Nairobi.
My rating (x/5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My First Time was an excellent and enjoyable read, a personal favorite among the 6 I’ve read. Part of the reason why I was so excited to get my hands on the book is because Janet’s been one of the few local female champions whose work I admire. Another reason would be the fact that I always whole-heartedly welcome anything that’s meant to teach me to approach life differently, empower and grow me. The last and most obvious reason I jumped into ‘My First Time’ ship is because I love being a girl, I love being a woman - so anything that’s out here championing my progress and/or empowerment? I embrace fully.

This one took me about 6-7 weeks to complete since other parts of my life also needed my attention. The narrations from the 50 men & women sharing their ‘First Time’ experiences take a huge chunk of the book and were fun to read through. I loved seeing some women whose content I vibe with like Sharon Mundia, Adelle Onyango, Caroline Mutoko, Over 25 ladies and Tatiana Karanja share their stories.

I practically had a notebook while reading this coz it felt like I was in an intense Menstrual Health Hygiene Management class. There’s so much to learn from it; from knowing the ways in which we can introduce topics surrounding periods to young girls & boys alike, how to assist women who are abled differently going through their period, ways in which we can help end period shame, the challenges women are facing during ‘that time of the month’ and ways in which we can continue to call upon the government in our various capacities to do more when it comes to policies surrounding reproductive healthcare, etc.

From the 50 stories about their “First Time” encounter, one Tumpesia Sankaire (75 yr old), an elderly Maasai woman unfortunately got to know about pads when she hit menopause. A case of a little too late. Another interestingly gutting experience was shared by a former inmate, Theresa Njoroge, about the lack of enough sanitary pads in prisons that lead to the inmates resorting to tearing Bible pages to use as pads😟. Some experiences are quite funny, others sad and others remind us of just how lucky some of us are when it comes to accessing sanitary products whenever we want.

Anyone can read it! No age restrictions… it’s for pre-teens, teenagers finding their voice in the world of adolescence, mothers, fathers, brothers, husbands, sisters, aunts, religious leaders, parents and future parents like myself who wish to raise informed children and teach them that menstruation is not a taboo topic, it’s normal, it’s beautiful and neither is it a girl-problem. 

I LOVED it and would recommend it 100% to all. It’s made hitting my 6 books in 2021 resolution very easy. 

#2021Resolutions

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOFTOP

MY VALENTINE

1 of 4