2022 READS - BOOK 3

LOVE IN COLOUR - Bolu Babalola

Reading this one has taken me so many months not because the book isn’t interesting but because in my day-to-day busyness, I failed to intentionally create time for reading. In all honesty, the thrill to see it through died at some point but then I kept seeing it on my desk staring at me seemingly saying …"So …I’m just here looking at you and you not gonna do anything about it?” The guilt got to me. I closed the last page last week. Baby steps, right?

Love in Colour is a book about love, in its many colours and ways in which it shows up in different individuals lives. It is a collection of short mythical stories. As much as most of what is shared in it is love between two, my take away was loving, choosing & showing up for SELF and how that affects how one in turn loves and shows up for another.

From empty cups, we can’t give anything (love, care, time) but from an overflow, we are able to care and love others without feeling like we’re giving so much of ourselves and remaining with nothing. I can only become a better lover, friend, sister or wife when I genuinely show up for myself.

Iyanla Vanzant, in one of her episodes says it good to continually be able to say to yourself and to others that .. “My cup runneth over. What’s in the cup belongs to me solely. The overflow is for y’all. That’s not me being selfish but being self-FULL. Until my cup overflows, I cannot give out anything.

How are you showing up & loving yourself today? Do you feel like you are worth showing up for? In what little ways do you do it and do you feel like it’s enough? Are you making a conscious decision to love?

Bolu writes about love & says:

‘ …when we allow ourselves to trust and love truly, there is a certain kind of freedom that we can achieve - a glory, for self.

I’d rate it 7/10

#OnToTheNextRead
#HappyNewMonth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROOFTOP

MY VALENTINE

1 of 4