Skip to main content

The Inside Job


I don't like how I get when I haven't been before God and I've noticed it about myself. When there's distance between us, seasons of life hit harder, anxiety feels closer, I get irritated more easily, I am more angry at things, and sometimes people, that probably don't deserve that much of my anger, I talk back, I react. I become less patient.

I'm not saying everything becomes perfect when I'm praying consistently. Life still be lifing in those moments. Motherhood still be hooding. There are still hard days and things I don't understand but there is something different about me when I am firmly working on my relationship with God. I feel centred.

My relationship with God affects much more than my spiritual life. It affects my emotions, my patience, my responses, how I treat myself , others and even how I carry the ordinary pressures of life.

In this season, there are days when prayer gets pushed down the list. The baby needs a boobie, I'm tired, the house needs attention, there is work to think about and before I know it, what was once a rhythm becomes something I keep saying I'll get back to. Truth us, I don't think I can afford to keep treating my relationship with God as something I'll get back to when life settles, because there's never going to be a point when life 'settles'.

I heard a quote this past weekend from my best couple: “When your prayer becomes irregular, your temptations become regular.” That stayed with me.

Maybe because I know it's true for me in ways that aren't always dramatic. Sometimes the temptation isn't some huge, obvious sin. Sometimes it's impatience, anger, pride, talking back, overthinking, wanting control and allowing my emotions to lead me. This is where I think Christians have to be honest about the work we need to do.

We spend so much time working on the outside. Our careers. Our businesses. Our bodies. Our homes. Our goals. Our appearance. But what are we doing about the inside?
  • What is happening in my heart?
  • What is happening to my character?
  • Who am I becoming when nobody is watching?
I love myself enough to know that seeking God's face is a form of self-love for me. Not because I believe I can fix myself, but because I know who I am without Him. So I will keep trying again.

Not because I've suddenly figured it all out. I haven't. I'm simply learning that I need to return to God, again and again, especially when life gets full and perhaps this is some of the work of my current season; not just becoming a better mother, employee, leader or woman on the outside, but allowing God to keep working on the woman on the inside.

That work may not always be visible.

But I think it matters most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUORA 3: STAKI MKATE!

Q: Has a homeless/street person ever refused food you've offered them? If so, did they provide an explanation? Well, well, well, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, my fellow repeat readers or repeat clients, if you may! Today I have a short story to bless your eyes and ears. Will it blow your mind? Maybe. Will it give you reason to come back here and check out more stories? Definitely!  I assume that most of you my readers are Nairobi residents and if not, you've been here at one point in your life. This is a notably great city with beautiful people, a people with a culture so rich everyone outside it wants to come have a taste. It is a hub of 'unity', or so they say. It's here that the assorted bunch of the various tribes come to link up, all forty two of them. Our relatives from the rurals are fascinated by this city, no wonder they gather around to hear tales of its craziness every time  Nairobians visit home for Christmas. The streets, as usual, are ever buz...

What's success to you?

When I enrolled into University, my main goal was to succeed, that’s everyone’s goal at this point really. Time has passed by so quickly and the goal still remains the same. Many are times I tend to lose focus on this goal and I end up messing up big time. Life’s like a mountain, you’ve got to gather the strength to move up to the peak despite the strong wind that will try to block you from getting there. You might reach some point and get tired, or you lose the strength to move on but with your eyes fixed at the peak, all is gonna go smoother than you can imagine. But you've got to have the hunger to reach there, you’ve got to have the desire to acquire what’s at the peak, have fire in your belly, be proactive, strong-willed, optimistic and most of all prayerful. All that I think lies with what YOU think success is. There are gazillion definitions of success but I think every single person should have their own definition of this success we all very much want. What'...

ROOFTOP

After exactly 3 months and 11 days, today I went back up the stairs to the rooftop of the apartment we stay at. Trembling and shaking, I kept taking a step after the next hoping to get to the top. Several times I kept thinking, …why go? …but kept at it regardless. On this rooftop, I had set a very calm meeting place with my Father. For about 3 months leading to the delivery of my darling baby girl, I'd come up here, do some simple workouts but most importantly have a daily tete-a-tete with Him. I couldn't and still can't wrap my head around the fatigue that comes with the 3rd trimester and rightly so, many times I contemplated not going up there. What made me keep up with the routine was the fact that I knew He was waiting for me and was eager to talk about how far and smooth my pregnancy journey was.   We'd talk about my hopes, dreams and plans for baby in my tummy. We'd discuss my maternity leave plans and among other things mostly just sit in the silence of dawn ...